[OT] Memory with VPC on a G4

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 08:15:32 EDT 2009

As a defiantly retro sort of chap I run Windows XP
in Virtual PC 7 for PPC Mac; using it as little as I can
possibly manage to test and build for Widows clients.

I am currently spinning-of several standalones for
a new pupil of mine to take home and pop on her
Mum and Dad's box running Windows XP. That,
as such, is unproblematic, except that the Windows
version of the RR 4 dp4 behaves like a 90 year-old
with a bad back because the maximum RAM that
can, apparently, be allottted to VPC is 512 MB. This
is silly as I have 2 GB RAM and can gladly spare
1.5GB for VPC as only running iTunes while I use
VPC.

Does anybody happen to know a 'hack' whereby
one can UP the RAM allotted to VPC to more than
512 MB?

------

I know the obvious answer to this is buy a heap of
junk for $25 to run XP; however in my 'cabin' I am
already being squeezed out by the G4 (with 2 fat monitors),
the PPC macMini, the other heap of junk with Ubuntu,
the BBC Master and the other 'thing' currently running
FreeDOS with a primitive GUI. So, beyond migrating
onto the roof, the cellar, or colonising the sitting-room
I really have to stick with VPC.