menu item tagging

ron barber runrevron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 02:57:07 EDT 2009

The engine change log list Menu-item tagging as a new feature:
=======================

The menu item specification has been extended to allow a tag to be
specified. It is now of the form:
  <label> [ '/' [ <accelerator> ] [ '|' <tag> ] ]
Note that the <tag> is optional as is the <accelerator> however, if
you want an item with a tag but without the accelerator you need:
  <label> '/' '|' <tag>

The <tag> must only be composed of characters from the ASCII character set.

If a menu item has a <tag> then it is the tag string that is passed to
menuPick rather than the <label>. This is useful for localization of
menu items as you don't need to change the menuPick handler for each
language supported.

The following tags should be used to label the standard edit menu
items to enable them to be controlled by the system dialogs on Mac OS
X (e.g. answer file, ask file etc.):
  undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, clear, select all, preferences

Note: You should not mix the use of tags and no tags in Unicode menus.
Doing so will cause empty values for all unicode items without tags.
=====================================
I have a menu in SJIS stored in a fld that is converted to unicode -
Japanese when the group is selected. The menupick item is handled in a
parent script.
The field with the edit menu looks like this:
ÉJÉbÉg/X|Cut
ÉRÉsÅ[/C|Copy
É}ÉãÉ`ÉRÉsÅ[/E|Multi
ÉyÅ[ÉXÉg/V|Paste
-
ëSǃëIë/A|Select All
-
åüçıÇ∑ÇÈ/F|Find
éüÇåüçıÇ∑ÇÈ/G|Find Again
-
èâä˙ê›íË/;|Preferences

I would expect the tag to be returned in the itempicked of the
menupick itempicked handler but I'm getting the actual menuitem iin
unicoded Japanese. Can anyone give me hints as to what I'm doing
wrong? All the menus are set up and handled the same way.

Thanks so much,
Ron