Interesting blog post - comments anyone?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Nov 30 13:22:04 EST 2009

>  In 1987 Apple introduced a product based on the genius of SmallTalk that
> it called HyperCard.

I've always been baffled by the comparisons to SmallTalk. Message passing,
perhaps, but the syntax couldn't be more different.

> What back-room finagling prompted the MetaCard people to change their name
> [...]
> [...] the entire lineage of programming tools was based upon the insights
> of two men

MetaCard did not change its name; the technology was purchased outright by
RunRev; and Dan Winkler, not Bill Atkinson, invented HyperTalk. Winkler,
incidentally, is a fan:

"I'm especially impressed with the way you've preserved the same feel and
flavor of HyperCard even in all the new features you've added and revised...
When I finally got to Revolution it was like coming home again... You have
created a very worthy successor to HyperCard, the only one I've seen which
captures, preserves and seamlessly extends everything I thought was great
about the original." -- Dan Winkler