Who's using what dbs?

Alex Adams alex at a2technology.com
Sun Nov 29 22:33:17 EST 2009

Bill,

That is a very good question.  There are several reasons.  Most of them have
to do with security.  Some server installations are locked down so tight
that getting permission to write to a directory on the server from an app
that does not reside on the server is problematic, even within a server
farm.  Transferring a file over the internet securely requires a secure
communication channel.  SSL or VPN, etc.  With a pure database
implementation, the app just needs the address and logon for the database
server.  Nothing else.  FrontBase and OpenBase provide proprietary secure
communications between their drivers and the database itself.  All traffic
is encrypted.  Easy and safe.  No coding or special setup required.  The
same setup works for any platform.  It's unbelievable how handy this is.

There are other reasons, but it is Sunday night here and I think I'm done
thinking.
--
Alex Adams

hawkVision ‹ tools for solving Wicked Problems

(a)2 Technology Partners, Inc.
831-726-8013
alex at a2tecnology.com
www.a2technology.com