Who's using what dbs?

Alex Adams alex at a2technology.com
Sun Nov 29 21:26:44 EST 2009

I need to decide on a multi-user database for a family of rev apps to run
against.  Developing in other technologies, I have experience with OpenBase,
FrontBase, MS SQL Server, and MySQL and a little Oracle.  I don¹t want to
use SQL Server for a whole host of reasons.  Oracle is too expensive for
most situations.  I am not aware of a rev driver for OpenBase.  I have had
problems with MySQL and large BLOBs.  That leave FrontBase which I like and
works very well with very large blobs, but is not currently shipping in a 64
bit version.  Is anybody using FrontBase?  I see that there is Valentina.  I
need to store and interact with masses of information, but there are no
relationships setup in the database and there are no joins in the SQL
statements.  Constraints and relationships are handled by the apps.  I store
files in blobs.  Any kind and size of file.

To the apps, the database is a generic place to put information.  This
allows the apps to be database agnostic.  So they can use embedded SQLite
and hosted multiuser databases, just the same.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Oh yeah.  Cross platform is a must.

Thanks,
--
Alex Adams

hawkVision ‹ tools for solving Wicked Problems

(a)2 Technology Partners, Inc.
831-726-8013
alex at a2tecnology.com
www.a2technology.com