Join the debate

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 17:17:41 EST 2009

On 11/28/09 12:06 AM, Judy Perry wrote:
> True...
>
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>> Thursday, November 26, 2009, 8:48:22 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> It's looking kinda brutal...
>>
>> Par for the course. To my recollection, there haven't been any
>> slashdot threads that didn't degenerate into drivel within about three
>> comments.

Personally I get tired of the "dumbing-down or not" debate because
the whole thing is really a matter of TASTE, VIEWPOINT, SNOBBERY
and how important it is to protect the "programmer" as an elite
priesthood that admits the chosen few after a rigorous 7-8 years
at University.

Runtime Revolution works without having to sweat over learning
all sorts of extremely obscure terms that have little or no
correspondence to other terms . . . while C++ and so on involve
the would-be programmer in a steep learning curve.

Good enough for me;

But, Hey, I describe myself as a teacher who "does a bit of programming
on the side"; so I have no real axes to grind.