WAV without QT

Robert Man robert at rman.on-rev.com
Tue Nov 24 04:04:11 EST 2009

I have made a little app that uses audio a lot. And I found runrev so limited
as far as audio si concerned that I suggest we open up a thread like "new
audio engine specifications group" to push this up...

I ended up using extensively lame and quicktime.. but.. these have to be
installed on the user computer and for a little app it is requiring users to
hammer their machine before it can do basics !! (at least that is what they
can feel!), but more seriousy it is much more risky for developpers cause it
boosts problem sources.

i'm also ready to participate to  group-library development (paying somebody
to do it but spreading the cost). [to resell it to runrev later!?]

We really need basic audio functions including mp3 (maybe by incorportaing
lame to the engine with all precautions " only to be used for educationnal
puproses" ) and providing a basic library to deal with wave files outside
quicktime like on all platforms (that means functions written in revtalk) :
minimal  duration, timetopoint, split, merge, cross/fade merge, minimal
effects, standardize level, simple compression, and possibly basic
visualization (stacks already exists).

As mentionned there is a stack that visualizes the content of a wave file
that was made by.. (tactile media??) ?? and that would be a good start to
build a library since basics of opening a wave file are there.

Otherwise I was going to turn to java audio librairies.

Audio quality is so important for multimedia...!

what do you think?
Robert