Looking for a defined path to learn Rev (for new users)

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Thu Nov 19 08:52:57 EST 2009

Dear Alejandro,

It seems to me that your are trying to lead horses to water, who are neither
thirsty nor want to drink. ;-)

But you raise an interesting point. We talk about the world embracing
revTalk and revlets because the language is so easy. And, indeed it is. But,
when I think back to when I first found rev, the major paradigm shift was
not the language, but the concept of stacks and cards and how this equated
to a windowed GUI. And, had I not had 15 years of extensive programming
experience in another rev, called Revelation, which is PICK on the PC and
which is very, very similar to rev in that it is a scripting language with
chunks, no variable typing, compiling is at the individual script level, so
you run and program at the same time, and many, many other similarities, I
would have also probably had to go through a paradigm shift with the concept
of chunks and where to put or organize scripts.

So, assuming there are programmers who know how to program in other more
traditional programming languages, it's not the revTalk language itself that
is the major barrier. It's not a great leap to move from using equal signs
for variable assignment to using "put," or using "is" instead of a double
equal sign. And certainly not having to use line ending characters like
semicolons or bracketing blocks of code using curly brackets is freeing and
a no brainer to embrace.

The leap is in the structure and not the language. So while I think your
"course outline" rightfully starts out with stacks and cards, I think, more
than how to create, the focus in the beginning needs to be on the "theory"
of stacks and cards and how these equate to the structures they are already
familiar with.

Next, needs to be the theory of chunks and variables and then followed by
theory of scripting and where to place blocks of code and what makes this
all work or ties it all together, which is the message path. Also, before
you get into objects you need o cover the theory behind commands and
functions and how, in general, scripts are organized.

I think without making this paradigm shift first, a programmer used to top
down or OOP programming will just feel like a stranger in a strange land and
will not "hear" your lessons on buttons and fields because he will be
sitting there still trying to get his bearings. So, I think you need focus
on the lay of the land first. Once a programmer has this down pat, the rest
is easy and almost doesn't have to be taught because there is so much
documentation that can easily be looked up for syntax and details.

Also, you don't have to write all of this from scratch. Much of it is
already available and just needs to be pieced together for your particular
audience.

As I say, you raise an interesting point, because this applies to not just
your fellow teachers, but all those we expect to embrace revlets and
revTalk.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini