arabic script

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Wed Nov 18 13:34:08 EST 2009

Monte Goulding wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've had a request from a client to investigate doing an arabic
>>> version of his app. The rev docs say right to left scripts aren't
>>> supported. Has anyone worked around this?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> Well, how about starting with setting the fontLanguage to "Arabic" ?
>
> Hmm... I'm just guessing but I think I'd need a work around to handle
> the fact that right to left scripts aren't supported. At least that's
> what it says in the docs. As I don't know Arabic I thought asking here
> might help but perhaps no-one has bumped into this limitation yet?
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Guess again!  ;-)

I maintain & further develop a training system I built for a client
starting in 2003. It allows Arabic (or any RTL language) to be pasted
into fields but not typed in. The reason for no typing is no engine
support for RTL typing.

During the paste process my code reverses the character order, gets the
html entity code of each char, and sets the htmlText of the target field
to the reversed string of entities. Also there is some unicode business
thrown in along the way, but I don't remember those details at the moment.

If there is a simpler way to do this, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks -
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs