Learning about GLOBALS late in life . . .

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:41:07 EST 2009

Colin Holgate wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>

>>> global t
>>>
>> ...but do you really want to do that?
>>

> Yes, definitely, if it's part of an answer to a question about making globals work. Now, Richmond may well want to learn about locals too, but I was just answering the question he asked!

Touchy!

Actually, Colin, your advice about globals was more correct insofar as
it answered my question,

but Mark's was pedagogically more useful as I had 'forgotten' about locals

[ the truth of it is that ever since I discovered Hypercard and escaped
from the joys
of variable declaration (think BASIC, FORTRAN, PASCAL) I was unaware (or
unwilling
to think about the fact) that variables could be declared in xTalk
languages. Today,
mucking around with something that had to "stay there" between 2 handlers a
little bird at the back of my head started tweeting 'global' - it didn't
tweet 'local']

Big Thanks to both of you.