Getting the line number from "on menupick"

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Nov 13 15:48:45 EST 2009

Recently, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:

> Don't you think a menu such as:
>
> Chili
> (tab) beans
> (tab) texas style
> Jelly
> (tab) beans
> (tab) doughnuts
> Heartburn
>
> Would not be uncommon, or explicitly useful? A universal, stable
> menuHistory should not be too much to ask. I think that just because there are
> workarounds, as there usually are, and that is why I love it so, doesn't mean
> that
> this ought not to be fixed in the language, or at least railed against.

I would say "it depends".  While some will argue that having all options
visible at once is best for the user, a 50 item menu uses a lot of vertical
space, and could potentially cause confusion and/or be too overwhelming.  I
think hierarchical submenus would be a more efficient solution.

Chili > beans
           texas style
Jelly > beans
          doughnuts
Heartburn

If Chili and Jelly need to be selectable, the initial item of each menu
could be selectable, or a 3rd entry could be added to differentiate the menu
items.  Regardless, only one sublevel is visible at a time:

Chili > straight up
           beans
           texas style
Jelly > straight up