AW: revlet not only on on-rev? was: some HD fun

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Nov 11 16:36:08 EST 2009

Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
> one answer - one new question :)
> up to now I thought the code which is written in xtalk and runs in the
> runrev plugin in a browser IS a iRev script?!
> Obviously I am missing some basics iRev - revlet - plugin - on-rev ...

There are two new web technologies. One is client-based and the other is
server-based.

1. On-rev (irev): This is the server-based technology. It allows you to
write web pages (called "irev" pages) using RevTalk. This works exactly
like PHP, and you can mix HTML and irev scripts together in your web
page code. The scripts are interpreted by software on the server, which
then sends the final HTML output to the user's browser. You need an
account with On-Rev right now if you want to use this, because only the
RR server has the software to interpret irev scripting. Eventually RR
plans to release the software for installation on any server, but that
isn't ready yet.

2. Revlets: This is the client-based technology. The user downloads a
browser plug-in which allows stacks to run inside a browser window, much
like Flash or QT does. Because the plug-in is on the user's hard drive,
revlets can run from anywhere. You can place your revlet on any server,
just like you can store QT movies on any server. The plug-in downloads
the file and does all the work inside the browser.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com