command enableScrollbarIfNeeded pFldName

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 6 01:11:00 EST 2009

sims wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2009, at 6:30 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> sims wrote:
>>> In the dictionary user notes for formattedheight, the word
>>> "command"  is used where "function" might be used.
>>> Can someone please explain the significance of that to me? Is it
>>> different from a function?
>>
>> Functionally (all puns intended), "command" is synonymous with "on".
>>
>> "Command" was added to distinguish between message handlers and
>> commands, though that distinction is stylistic; AFAIK they can be
>> usdd interchangeably.
>
> Thanks... I was wondering if I was missing out on some new script
> goodies there.  ;-)

Possibly one:  have you started using the new "private" keyword?

E.g.:

private function EmpName
   return fld "FirstName" && fld "LastName"
end EmpName

By specifying a command or function as "private" means it can only be
accessed by other handers in the same script.

This has two benefits:

1. It helps keep some handlers from being called, things like internal
utility functions in a library stack.

2. Speed:  being available only to the local handler, they trim a fair
bit of the message-passing overhead.  While the time to call both a
private and public handler is too small to be noticeable in a single
call, access time to private handlers benchmark about 30% faster, so for
frequently-accessed handlers it can be useful.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World