[OT] Anyone using an ebook reader with the RunrevDictionary PDF?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Nov 5 18:19:25 EST 2009

runrev260805 at m-r-d.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am thinking of buying an ebook reader, either Sony PRS505, Sony
> PRS600 or Amazon Kindle. The main use would be, reading pdf documents
> with it.
>
> Now i heard that there  could be problems with Pdfs on ebook readers.
>

> Does anyone on this list know, if there are problems with the pdf
> dictionary of Revolution on ebook readers.

I have a Sony 700 and it reads PDFs. If the PDF is an image, you can
resize it to any scale and then scroll it by moving the image around the
screen. If the PDF has flowable text, then the text will display as
pages on the screen without having to resize it. You can search and
annotate with the Sony 700. You can also set the text size to your
preference. The Sony eReader does not have an internet connection, but
I've never missed it. I load all my books from my Mac using the free
software Calibre, which will convert almost any format to any other
format, including Sony's. It will also convert PDFs to native text
documentation.

I chose the 700 because I wanted a backlight, but the 505 is good if you
read mostly in daylight. I don't know if the 505 accepts PDFs directly
but Calibre supports the 505, so it can convert PDFs if you need to.

I just tried converting the Rev User Guide from PDF to Sony's "lrf"
format, and it worked fine. It would also have worked on the Sony
without conversion.

I've been using ebook readers for years, and I love them. My last one
was worn down to the metal before I gave it up, I'd worn off all its
skin. I'm a strong advocate for saving trees, and I like the convenience
of being able to carry around hundreds of books in a device that is only
a few ounces.