Stack conversion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 3 15:14:58 EST 2009

If there are a lot of objects you want to port, it may be worth the time
writing the properties that describe them out to a file and then writing
a routine in Rev to rebuild them from those properties.

I wrote a couple such import/export thangs for SuperCard back in the
day, but haven't had occasion to do the same for TB or I'd send your my
code to get you started.

It may seem a daunting process, but really most of the work is done in
loops so the amount of code may be fewer than 200 lines, depending on
how much fidelity you're after.

But unless the project is quite large, it may be worth considering
rewriting it from scratch in Rev, or making your export/import fairly
lean so you're starting with just a skeleton of a framework rather than
something that seems more complete.

"Seems" is the operative word there:  having done a LOT of porting
between SC/HC/OMO and Rev, and having shipped a couple projects in TB,
I've found that there are just enough differences in the object models
between these tools to make a true port suboptimal.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World