Difference between XP and Vista/7?

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 09:36:49 EST 2009

On 2 Nov 2009, at 1:24 pm, Lars Brehmer wrote:

> In newer versions does in mention in the sandalone settings that
> just adding stacks in Vista / 7 will not allow changes to those
> stacks?

As far as I can tell about what you are reporting, this is a Vista
Thing, not  Rev Thing.

In the old pre OS X days, the folder containing an App also tended to
contain data, docs and whatnot.  All users could run the Apps and
save data in the enclosing folder.  Apple then bought into the idea
which had been around for a long time that all Apps should live in
one place, all data somewhere else (where depending on the sort of
data it was) - hence the docs folder and app folder.

On Windows it has long been possible for a user to have the privilege
to run exes, but not write to the folder containing the exe - and in
these cases ether the save location or the privileges had to change.
However, XP and earlier were kind of sloppy about this, and it was
easier to fix privileges on a per user basis than stick to saving
things where they 'ought' to be.

Vista is not sloppy, but slippery.  Rather than complaining that data
can't be written, triggering an error or hanging your standalone, it
will obligingly write your data to somewhere else, and pretend it has
done what you ask.  Your Rev program has no way of knowing where the
data has gone, but it sure won't be there when you try to look for it
later!  What you will find is your original unchanged stack(s).

So, you can save changes to stacks in Vista just don't try to do it
in the Program directory.  You can have the stacks initially load
from the program directory, or from a custom property (see Klaus
Majors recent post Re: Where to place (sub)stacks?) and you can use
specialfolderpath to save elsewhere after the stacks have been
changed. Often the script can be made to work the same cross
platform, although depending on what it is you want to save, you
might not find an entirely satisfactory place for it to go on Vista,
and I assume Vista 2.0 errr... I mean Win 7.

David Glasgow