Difference between XP and Vista/7?

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Mon Nov 2 03:59:00 EST 2009

Hello Lars,

Nothing new here, just another way of phrasing it. The previous posts
have pointed out the importance of putting your writable files outside
of the Programs folder and into a folder that the user has permission
to write to.  Under XP many (though not all) users and applications
had permission to write to the Programs folder but under Vista the
default setting is that they can't.

On the Mac it is actually quite similar.  While many home users DO
have permission to write to the Applications folder, this is not
always the case.  Under managed user accounts (very common in business
or education settings where IT manages the machines) the primary user
may NOT be the administrator and so may not have write privileges to
the Applications folder.  One approach is to have the "Splash.app"
start by making sure that there is a copy of the writable files in the
user's  < Library/Application Support > folder.  If the files aren't
there, it copies these files out of the Applications folder and into
the user's writable directory before loading them.

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/