Difference between XP and Vista/7?

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 16:02:11 EST 2009

Thanks Shao & Tiemo for the replies!

I guess I didn't make myself very clear, or I don't completely
understand your suggestions, which is of course very likely, as I am
one of those weird Mac-based Rev users who only understand Macs and
Rev and not much else, and certainly nothing about Windows.

In the Rev IDE I have a stack - let's call it "splashScreen" that
becomes the standalone application. There are also stacks "myData",
"theApp", "appGraphics" and a couple of others. When I set the
standalone application settings for the stack "splashScreen", in the
stacks pane I then add the stacks "myData", "theApp" and "appGraphics"
and the others. This gives me a standalone with the .exe and the added
stacks in the program folder (Windows) or the application > Package >
Contents > MacOS  (OSX). All very basic. When the application opens,
it opens the added stacks, which in my simple understanding ARE the
program, that is, what the user actually uses. The splash screen app
is just a construction to allow changes to the "actual" program
stacks. I learned this 5 years ago from this very list and have been
doing it this way ever since. There are hundreds of posts in the rev
digest suggesting this - changes in a standalone application cannot be
saved so make a splash screen the actual application and include the
other stacks that might need to accept changes. So just now I found
out the when I run the application "splashScreen" in Vista / 7 and
want to do this;

set the whatEver of stack "myData" to true
save stack "myData"

it isn't saved. But it isn't saved only when the application is
installed via the installer I made with Inno. If the program folder is
just sitting on the desktop, it does work as expected.

Shao Sean wrote:

> While most systems are pretty relaxed about it, if the user trying
> to use your software does not  have privileges to modify the content
> of the directory your scheme stops working..

I have to say I don't understand this, but my natural question is how
do you give the user such priveleges? Is it even possible?

further;

> In Vista (and I am assuming Windows 7) there is the lovely virtual
> store which might be happening with your code seeing as it works
> when on the desktop but not installed in the Program Files
> directory.. Try saving your license stack to a safe folder (appdata)
> and see if that  works better for you..

I assume by "license stack " you mean what I called "myData". So how
do I do this? How can I get that stack out of the program folder and
into the Program Data folder? This question clearly shows how little I
know and how dependent I am on the simplicity of RunRev - my
standalones are 100% self contained - no databases, no writing to
external files - just rev stacks and custom properties. Which al
worked perfectly until Vista/7.

Tiemo wrote;

> as Shao already pointed out, you may not write / update to the
> program dir,as far, as you haven't given full access for a normal
> user to your sub dir. The installer (inno) gets from vista once
> admin persmissions because of the name of the setup to allow him to
> write to the program dir. But your standalone may not.

again, how do I give that access to a user if it is at all possible?

The problem for people like me is that what worked in MacOS, OSX and
every version of Windows throught XP sp3 suddenly doesn't work
anymore. And no mention by RunRev that saving changes to stacks
included in the standalone no longer works, at least no mention that I
have ever seen. I have been reading this digest for 5 years now for
the great tips and ideas, but I don't recall seeing that the entire
stack paradigm and the use of changeable custom properties changed
completely when Vista was relased. True, I don't read every post as
carefully as the ones that are directly applicable to my work, but I
have to think that I would have noticed something this important! Then
again maybe not ;-) Besides that, I am still using Rev 2.8. In newer
versions does in mention in the sandalone settings that just adding
stacks in Vista / 7 will not allow changes to those stacks? Does it
put the added stacks somewhere else so that it does work? I am very
confused at this point and would appreciate some more help.

Cheers,

Lars