AW: Difference between XP and Vista/7?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Sun Nov 1 11:19:40 EST 2009

Hi Lars,
as Shao already pointed out, you may not write / update to the program dir,
as far, as you haven't given full access for a normal user to your sub dir.
The installer (inno) gets from vista once admin persmissions because of the
name of the setup to allow him to write to the program dir. But your
standalone may not.
As Shoa told you, Vista, 7 and later will virtualize your files to the
virtual store, if you attempt to write / update to the program dir (or sub
dir of the program dir). Usually this happens completely transparent, so
that it gives you a feeling, as if you HAVE updated your file in the program
dir, but actually it was copied to the virtual store and will bring you into
trouble in the future, because you have two files (read the posts in the
archives "Vista virtualize", especially of Ken Ray:
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/env007.htm) So that is
why I actually am unsure, what is going on in your case, when you say, the
update of the preferences wasn't taken.
Conclusion, as Shao also said, is you should put your files, which have to
be updated in a writeable dir.
Tiemo