[Q] Windows compiled applications and the Task Bar

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 1 10:06:52 EST 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Shao Sean wrote:
>>>  what was wrong with it?
>>
>> It used to be styled as a palette instead of a document window
>
> I guess I must have known that, but it left the building. Anyway,
> modeless windows look just like toplevel windows now. The only
> difference I can see is that you lose the asterisk after the stack name.

On XP?  In Rev 4?

This has been a concern of mine as well, so I just tested it here and I
got what I've always got, what Sean reported:  modeless has an
appearance almost identical to palettes, with shorter drag bar than
normal, no window menu, just a small closebox without other window
trimmings, and the title is drawn almost flush left in the title region,
with almost no margin.

Recipe:

1. Create a new stack
2. Run this in the Message Box:

    set the style of this stack to modeless

No changes to decorations, no other steps needed.  Very odd, almost
certainly a long-overlooked bug.

It's a drag because modeless windows would otherwise provide a great way
to have auxiliary windows with normal layering which are not documents,
leaving toplevel for document use.  Such an arrangement can simplify a
lot of coding in a document-based app, and is exactly what modeless
windows provide on Mac.

But because of this weird palette-looking appearance thing, I can't rely
on modeless for any of my cross-platform apps.

I did a brief search in the RQCC for this, and while I found a few
loosely related things nothing reporting this specific rendering anomaly.

Anyone here know if such a report has been filed?  URL?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World