On-Rev / Off-Rev

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun May 31 12:43:26 EDT 2009

Richmond-

Sunday, May 31, 2009, 12:33:53 AM, you wrote:

> AND, if that is possible I cannot see any real reason why one could not
> type one's code in a text editor and then "push it through" an xTalk
> compiler.

*Now* I see what you're asking. Well, that's what on-rev does for web
pages, for one thing. And you can do this with cgi scripts for web
pages as well.

But if you want to *compile* xtalk code, what advantage would you get
over building a rev standalone? Yes, you could write an xtalk
compiler, but you'd still have to bundle the engine as a library, and
that's essentially what the standalone builder does.

An interpreter for xtalk code rather than a compiler might be an
interesting exercise, but then you'd be recreating the IDE, and in
particular the message box. I don't see much point in going down that
road either.

Having external text files as script sources would be a real advantage
in terms of working with version control systems, and I look forward
to the day when we get an "import" or "include" command to enable
this.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net