On-Rev / Off-Rev

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat May 30 11:11:16 EDT 2009

The reason I asked the question that I did was because of what you wrote
re the language and the IDE:

"we consider our product to be the language, not merely the desktop IDE"

as if the language and the IDE were, in some way, capable of independent
existences.

I am well aware that the language can exist with another IDE (e.g.
Metacard);
what is not clear to me is whether the language can exist outwith an IDE
- the
reason I am asking this is because, as far as I can tell, RunRev's ancestor,
HyperCard seemed to be built around the idea of some sort of organic
co-existence between the language and an IDE; unlike most programming
languages available at that time where there was no IDE at all.

The word 'merely' also made me wonder if the IDE was rather far down a list
of priorities as far as Runtime Revolution's future development went.
Although
the advent of dataGrids would seem to bely that.

 From a personal point of view I feel that the language uncoupled from
the IDE
would lose more than half what makes it such a fantastic RAD.

Bill Marriott wrote:
> Richmond,
>
>> What I am very interested to know is when the language "took flight" and
>> became completely independent of the desktop IDE . . . .
>>

> I don't recall there ever being a concern about discussing CGI scripts here.
> And you've got it backwards.
Never mind, I'm quite good at getting things backwards: always seem to
work out
in the end though.  :)