On-Rev testing - opinion poll

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 28 11:08:47 EDT 2009

Sarah Reichelt wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
> <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
>> All non on-rev users are out of the loop. Start a new mailing list?
>
> My apologies. I had considered that since On-Rev is just Revolution on
> the web, that it was not off-topic. Also that people who were not yet
> signed up and therefore did not have access to the On-Rev forums might
> have been interested in the possibilities.

I appreciate Mark's comment about keeping noise here down so this will
be my only comment on this, but I believe On-Rev discussion is a
valuable part of this list which should remain here.

Rev encompasses the breadth of modern mainstream computing:  Windows,
Mac, Linux, and the web.  With the CGI it's been this way for years, and
now with the new enhanced server components it's only getting better.

The lines between the desktop and the web are becoming blurred, with
browser-based apps taking on new capabilities once only possible on the
  desktop, and desktop apps taking advantage of Internet protocols for
shared workflows, immediate updates, and more.

I see no significant distinction between On-Rev and the desktop
Revolution product.  They occupy different ends of a spectrum of
capabilities, and together they cover the range of options across that
spectrum.

So FWIW, I would suggest that On-Rev discussion remain here as the
valuable contribution it is, addressing the other half of modern
client-server systems.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World