Best Practices Question

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:20:47 EDT 2009

"Like the concept of best practice, defining what constitutes innovation
is probably a relative term and a moving target at best."

found at : http://strengthofweakties.org/?cat=11

and this is probably the truth. What constitutes 'canonical' programming is
surely a matter of taste, and I would ask the following question:

1.  Who is going to look at the code apart from yourself?

If the answer is 'no one' then you really can please yourself.

If the answer is not 'no one' then it very much depends on who
that 'one' or 'ones' is going to be; and, to be honest, how much you
want them to understand your code.

Now, consistency is always a good thing; even for yourself - there is
nothing half as "fun" as looking at some code you wrote six months
ago and finding you have difficulty understanding it.  :)

The other good idea is to pop comments in your code, such as:

--this is where the cycles of the FOR-NEXT "embedded 24" loop are counted

so that you don't get your "end if" s "in a twist".

One of the 'cyclical chestnuts' that comes up on this Use-List is about
the use of abbreviated forms in code (such as 'btn') and whether that
makes things murkier for other readers of code. The fact that it is a
cyclical chestnut should tell us that it is a moving target, and it all
depends on question 1.