OT pour les Francaise: 3G pay-as-you-go in France?

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Tue May 26 15:47:20 EDT 2009

Le 26 mai 09 à 11:32, Ben Rubinstein a écrit :

> I'm abusing the list to contact some of our French correspondents.
> Apologies to everyone else... and apologies to French speakers for
> my appalling Franglaise.
>
> I'm wondering whether it's possible to get hold of 3G data stick -
> or the SIM to go into one - for use in France, on a "pay-as-you-go"
> basis, rather than a long term contract.  In the UK, these 3G USB
> data modems, initially only available on quite long contracts with
> substantial monthly subscription, then became available under pay-as-
> you-go for about £100 (then about €130) and have since been dropping
> repeatedly so that you can now get one for about €25.

Orange
http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http%3A//mobile.orange.fr/content/ge/high/v2_offre_boutique/offre/internet_everywhere/fie_presentation.html
(in french, sorry)
proposes a 3G USB key with a pay as you go SIM card for a 29€
discovery bundle (2 hrs included)
Orange has a very, very good edge coverage, and 3G may vary (I assume
it's OK in Paris; I live close to Paris and have good 3G coverage;
however in the suburb city which is neighbor to mine , near the city
hall, my iPhone has only EDGE). The 3G key works on mac and PC.

SFR has made has advertised early on their 3G network, however I have
not tested their coverage;
  on
http://www.sfr.fr/internet-mobile/offres-internet-mobile-cle-internet-3g/?vue=00235e&sfrintid=HPI_bol_interpart_bolmid
their sell a 3G key starting at 39€, with duration starting at 20mn

both sell these offers in their local shops, so you can test and buy
them in France.

The third operator is Bouygues telecom. It sells 3G keys,
http://www.laboutique.bouyguestelecom.fr/recherche-telephones-cle--cle+3gplus/edge.html
but they do not have a very good 3G reputation.
  same thing about local shops.

HTH
François
Disclaimer: i I use an Orange iPhone and have not tested these 3G keys.