[OT] Opinions about On-Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu May 21 18:10:56 EDT 2009

Marty Knapp wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> You'll need to register a domain name with a registrar - many people
> here have recommended GoDaddy, which is what I use. Let's say you
> register "alextweedly.com" Then you edit the Nameserver setting with
> the registrar so that it points to On-Rev with the info that On-Rev
> provides, which is probably:
>
> ns1.on-rev.com
> ns2.on-rev.com
>
> Then you can create an "Add-on" domain in your On-Rev control panel
> with the name you registered. Place your web site files in this new
> directory. Within a short while everything should sync up and requests
> for "alextweedly.com" will bring visitors to your On-Rev hosted site.
> And with On-Rev you can host unlimited sites.
>
> A "freebie" you get with On-Rev is a user space with your account
> name, like "alextweedly.on-rev.com". You can host a site at this
> address without further registration.
>
> HTH,
No, it doesn't - but thanks for trying to help.

I already have a domain (actually, quite a few of them :-)
I want to migrate some of them to OnRev, but like Sarah I want to test
them properly before I risk changing nameservers, in case I am breaking
something, and would have the site be down for a day or two before I can
change them back again.

So the process Sarah described, namely
> [...] wanted to test it out before changing the DNS entries.
> I created a sub-domain "troz.troz.on-rev.com" so I could migrate my
> site & test it, before changing it to an AddOn domain and altering the
> DNS.
So the question was quite precise ....  how do you "change a sub-domain
to an AddOn domain" ?

There is no mention in the docs (afaics) of changing sub-domain to addon
domain.

Thanks
-- Alex.