Data Grid Comment

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu May 21 14:56:51 EDT 2009

On May 18, 2009, at 9:06 PM, RevList wrote:

> The Data Grid is fantastic.
> I just used two data grid tables in my recent project and it worked
> like a charm.
> I created Stand Alone versions for Mac and Win and have made them
> available one of my web sites four our  customer access.
> If you are interested, see
> http://www.firstclass.com/~slynch/FOV13-0025D13D/?OpenItemURL=S04E88F59-04E88F59
> I have a short video that showcases the utility.

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for sharing your application. Looks great!

> What I really like is the Question/Answer way in which the
> documentation
> is set up.  This is very helpful.
>
> A question for Trevor.  As you answer questions in this forum, do
> you add
> the question to your online documentation?

Usually, yes. I'm a firm believe in documentation that evolves as you
handle support requests. Using Questions/Answers is another technique
we employ at my company and which we teach to our ScreenSteps/
ScreenSteps Live customers.

In my experience people don't read manuals and only start looking at
documentation when they are trying to solve a particular problem.
Looking through questions and answers helps them solve their immediate
problem and makes them happy. Having to read a manual and translate
what they read into a particular task is more time consuming.

I discussed some of the techniques I employ when writing documentation
in revUp issue 70. How you approach your documentation determines
whether or not you will get it done, and, after it is finished,
whether or not your customers will get a lot of use out of it.

<http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/may/issue70/newsletter1.php>

> If not, it would be really nice if someone could build an FAQ of all
> of
> the questions that are being answered.
> I really like reading the responses and trying to file them away
> somewhere
> as I know that I will have the same question some time.

The manual is continually being added to and refined. Today I started
a tips and tricks manual that shows how to convert a database cursor
to an array you can assign to a data grid and I added a lesson showing
how to create a data grid by hand. I also updated the API chapter.

Data Grid Tips & Tricks
<https://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution_tools/manuals/datagrid_tips

Creating a Data Grid By Hand
<http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution_tools/manuals/datagrid/lessons/4488-Creating-A-Data-Grid-By-Hand