Arrays

Tom Cole tom.cole at asu.edu
Tue May 19 12:04:06 EDT 2009

Sarah,
Thanks. The sorts are MUCH faster when done in a variable. I'm not
sure of the advantage of storing data in a custom property, but it's
nice to know about. I'm forgetting arrays because now I need do only
one thing to be burning through the data.

I have bird watching PLACES as one item. One is called Elliot and
Cooper Roads. I've been to that street corner hundreds of times, and
since I have seen over 8000 birds there, there are more than 8000
records. I can put all of the records for this street corner at the
top of the field (actually the "top" of the variable).

Elliot and Cooper Roads		FIRST VISIT TO THIS PLACE
Elliot and Cooper Roads
Elliot and Cooper Roads
Elliot and Cooper Roads
... thousands more
... thousands more
... thousands more
Elliot and Cooper Roads         LAST VISIT TO THIS PLACE
Other Places
Other Places
Other Places

All I need is have a way to "cut and paste" from the first record for
Elliot and Cooper Roads to the last and leave out the rest of the
places.

Of course, I could write a repeating script that would gobble up the
data a line at a time, but it would take forever. How can I scoop all
the Elliot and Cooper records out of the data in one fell swoop?

If someone could show me how to do this, then I could employ it
everywhere and my flat database would be screamin' fast and I would
stay in Revolution.

I'm almost there!

Tom in Arizona