Reducing image file sizes

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Mon May 18 22:14:20 EDT 2009

Hi Jacque,

> I have a customer project that displays scanned images and photos of
> varying dimensions. These files are usually huge, with formatted sizes
> in thousands of pixels. I need a way to change the image resolution, or
> otherwise reduce the file size, so that the images can be rewritten to
> disk with a much smaller footprint in order to fit them on a single CD.
> But I need to preserve the original dimensions in inches, so that they
> will still print at their actual, original size. I think I need to
> determine the original resolution so that I can calculate the
> dimensions
> in inches, right? Is there a way to get that?

Are these Jpegs? I haven't played with this since 2.8.1 but, if I remember
correctly, I believe just using compress() will reduce them down 20% with no
loss on decompress(). Other than that I do have a handler that will greatly
reduce jpegs (with some loss) but works best if their width and height are
roughly equivalent. I have to find it and will be traveling from tomorrow
until Sunday, so I can't until then. But this was also tested with Jpegs.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini