Copy files between servers

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 12:58:40 EDT 2009

Basic setup is
Rev stack running a send loop in Win 2003 Server
-1- a text file is written to the C:/temp/    folder

Rev stack running a send loop in OSX 10.5 Leopard
-2- the  C:/temp/  folder is mounted as a shared drive
thus has the path /Volumes/temp/  in the OSX Finder

Apache in OSX is serving pages in the /Users/username/Sites/  folder
The Rev stack in OSX can do RevCopy to the Sites/ folder

however, the permissions are set to 700  vs 644 and Apache cannot read
them.
(note: the files to be 'copied' do not have the same file name since
they are time stamped file names)

To do a shell("chmod") I think I will have to do SUDO, but since this
is a continuous process, how would I handle the password?

I know that 'root' user is dangerous, and 'www' maybe as well.

Instead of using RevCopy,
Is there a way of setting the Apache permissions on the mounted C:/
temp/theseFilesOnly/ folder?
I don't know how to specify the mounted/shared drive for Apache.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

PS.  For the files that are always named the same,
put url ("file:" & pathToSitesFolder & "filename.txt") works fine
since the permissions have been set to 644.
It is just the new filenames on C:/temp/  that the permissions need to
be changed.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas