[OT] Not just because

Stephen Cox stephen at networkxfla.com
Wed May 13 22:57:38 EDT 2009

Why not a few examples of languages that you can also use to write off line
apps too. Like Python or Ruby? Both are used on the web (Rails, Django,
Zope, Merb - to name a few). And both are used to write cross platform apps,
even gui's using something like Qt.

Also Java. And Realbasic has Yuma. Not to mention all the .Net solutions.
And Silverlight and Flex (though I hate, HATE Action Script 3.0).

What makes OnRev unique is the language. Nothing else really. In fact
considering the amount of 3rd party support for Ruby, Python and .Net you
are at a disadvantage using OnRev. Being that you have to reinvent the
wheel.

Course this is true with off line apps as well. I like Revolution but it has
a VERY small 3rd party plug-in community. And a backward UI, compared to the
rest. What's kept it on my machine so far is the language. In fact we just
bought another copy.

On 5/13/09 12:27 PM, "Luis" <luis at anachreon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I didn't like PHP when I first went into it, plus some host apply
> restrictions to what functions you can call.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luis.
>

> On 13 May 2009, at 16:53, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> If you're in a need for an "alternative", what's wrong with PHP
>> (which isn't an alternative at all but rather the mainstream tool
>> for server-side scripting)?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> http://economy-x-talk.com
>> http://www.salery.biz
>> Dutch forum: http://runrev.info/rrforum
>>
>> New: Snapper Screen Recorder 2.0.1
>> Download at http://snapper.economy-x-talk.com
>>
>> On 13 mei 2009, at 17:14, Luis wrote:
>>
>>> Seeing as it seems to be OT season, and I work in the office of
>>> stirring things up:
>>>
>>> http://runbasic.com/
>>>
>>> http://runbasicnet.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.runbasic.com/seaside/go/runbasic?
>>> _s=hDedgqXdSCYDuTMh&_k=nFUdiyqV
>>>
>>> Actually, I was looking into comparable options to On-Rev to see
>>> where the advantages/disadvantages would be, and I came across
>>> this Smalltalk based option.
>>>
>>> Other than LISP based systems that only have a partial features
>>> set, this is all I can find that is 'similar'.
>>>
>>> We've gone through Tilestack, wondering if anyone has seen RunBASIC.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Luis.

Stephen Cox
Chief geek | Networkx | networkxfla.com