interesting things hiding in rev

Shao Sean shaosean at wehostmacs.com
Mon May 11 11:30:41 EDT 2009

been busy snooping around rev and noticed some undocumented "features"

these show up in the "commandNames":
_internal
rsadecrypt
rsaencrypt
rsasign
rsaverify

We know that "_internal" is currently used for script colourization
in the new engine and can only be used in the IDE (does not work in
compiled apps). It can also be used to create a UUID.
_internal script colorize char 1 to (the number of chars of fld
"script") of fld "script"
_internal call "generate_uuid"; put the result

How to get the RSA ones to work?

these show up in the "propertyNames"
_hscrollbarid
_ideoverride
_unplacedgroupids
_vscrollbarid
implementation
lzwkey
messagemessages
revavailablehandlers
revavailablevariables
revlicenseinfo
revlicenselimits
revlicensewatermark
revmessageboxredirect
revruntimebehaviour
revunplacedgroupids
watchedvariables

I am assuming "lzwkey" is for registering the extra license for gif.

"revLicenseInfo" returns a list of information about your license
(your name, company, type of licensee, version of rev, expiry date
and the number of seats?)

"revLicenseWatermark" returns binary data and I cannot be bothered to
see what it really is

"_ideoverride" looks like a new window mode(?)
set the _ideoverride of <stack> to TRUE; toplevel <stack>
this will allow you to have non-editable toplevel windows.. the mode
of <stack> returns 2
set it to FALSE and then toplevel the stack to return it to mode 1
(editable)

Anyone have any info about the rest?