Newbie... Strict Compilation mode

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun May 10 11:28:59 EDT 2009

Bernard-

Sunday, May 10, 2009, 2:08:09 AM, you wrote:

> The interesting thing is that both Jim/Mark & Jacques are right.

...and *that* I think is the real strength of rev/xtalk. Not that
there aren't "wrong" ways to do things (been there, done that, got the
t-shirt), but there are many "right" ways to approach any task. I love
the diversity of learning new ways to do things from folks who do
things differently from me.

> But when I started out with Rev I tried turning on explicit variables
> over several releases, but it was so broken that the IDE stopped
> working (it must have had undeclared variables in it).  So after years
> of not using explict vars, it seems onerous to now switch it on.

That was ages ago, and yes, it was most definitely a problem. I have
explicitVars enabled at all times except when I need to work with
someone else's code whose religious preferences are different. And by
doing so I've been able to report bugs against the IDE which should
never have gotten out the door if the IDE code were explicitVars-safe.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net