App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 8 15:12:36 EDT 2009

None of my scripts are very long, that might have been why the problems
didn't happen.  But I did have a rea editingl slowdown problem even so in
2.8.1.  It was not to do with scrolling, but just with typing.  Sometimes
for no discernable reason, when you typed, it would take almost a second for
the character to register.  It was so bad I gave up and just used an
external text editor.  But this seems to have gone away totally with 2.9 and
later releases.

I had a funny problem with gm1:  the browse/pointer tool in the toolbar
didn't work properly.  There was no pointer icon.  You had to select it from
the tools menu item.  gm2 seems to have fixed this.

The other thing that is different about my configuration is that I don't
have an Ubuntu installation.  My own system is Debian, and the ones my stuff
is being used on are Mandriva One KDE - I've kept them to 2008.1, being
afraid to inflict KDE 4 on the unwary, but probably will take them to 2009
soon, now that KDE seems to have settled down.