Preferred Multi-Platform Development Method

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 8 14:17:49 EDT 2009

Derek Bump - Dreamscape Software wrote:
> I'm just curious, but for those of you who have an Enterprise license,
> how do you develop your stacks/standalones for multiple platforms?
>
> Do you keep each platform separate and write the same stack for each
> platform itself?  Or do you have 1 stack file and use Property Profiles
> and platform() functions to determine functionality?

Keeping separate copies pretty much removes the advantage of Rev's
cross-platform development capabilites. And invariably you'll find if
you do that, you'll forget to update one of the copies and it will break.

I do what Richard does, forking code as needed, which is required for
only a few things. I too have an "init" handler that manages platform
display differences when the app launches. Other than that, very little
forking is usually necessary.

I develop almost exclusively on my Mac for most of the project. When the
stack is almost ready, I open it in the Windows version of the IDE for
testing and final tweaking. I build for both platforms on the Mac, then
test again in Windows to make sure all went well, which is true most of
the time. Most of the Mac/Windows issues show up when I test the stack
near the end of the development process.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com