Repeat Process To Check Contents of File on HTTP Server?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu May 7 09:34:20 EDT 2009

I suggest to use the "put" command with the "url" keyword, using a
"send in time" structure:

on mouseUp
   checkWebsite ""
end mouseUp

on checkWebsite thePrev
   put line -1 of url "http://yoursite.com/yourfile" into theCurrent
   if thePrev <> theCurrent then
     --do your stuff here, it changed!
   end if
   send checkWebsite theCurrent to me in 4.5 seconds
   --slightly less then 5 seconds, assuming the download of the whole
file takes ca. 0.5 seconds
end checkWebsite

Be aware that clicking the button twice would have your code execute
twice every 4.5 seconds, so maybe you should check the pendingMessages
somehwere. The docu on that property also shows on how to stop the
repeating.