App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed May 6 05:01:44 EDT 2009

The problem wasn't just that Rev 3.0 was slower on Linux.  It was also
crashing daily and freezing regularly.

I pointed out in one bug report that Rev would routinely freeze using
chatRev.  It would happen on both Ubuntu and my (Fedora-based) Linux
netbook (see the screenshots attached to
http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/attachment.cgi?id=1548) .

Björnke also included at least one serious bug report concerning
chatRev.  ChatRev is not a particularly complicated piece of Rev
software, and one would think that such a simple Rev application which
has been in daily use for several years on Windows and Mac would also
work on Linux.  If it does not, then there are serious problems with
Rev on Linux.  On might also assume that if Runrev were seriously
interested in the performance of Rev on Linux that they would try to
work out what was happening with ChatRev.  It appears from his
comments on his bug report that Björnke gave up trying to run Rev on
Linux.

I brought up these issues on the other list around the time of Rev
3.0's release.  Those who are committed to using Rev on Linux have had
to accept that Rev on Linux is much inferior to Rev on Windows and OS
X.  Indeed, in my experience Rev on Linux is worse than most free
software.

One must just assume that until Linux has a higher priority for Runrev
the situation is going to remain the same.  I would prefer that Runrev
concentrate their energy on providing a true cross-platform client
development environment rather than try to compete with the multitude
of server-side scripting languages, but it seems clear from the
enthusiasm with which On-Rev was greeted, that I am in a minority.

Many features found in the OS X and Windows versions of Rev have been
missing in the Linux version for years, and there is no sign of them
ever appearing (revBrowser, recording, QT stuff, speech
stuff,revFont).  I do realise that the QT features are only available
incidentally on Windows, but in my opinion that puts the onus on
Runrev to make sure the other missing features are provided.

Other features that are provided with Rev on Linux (e.g. SSL,
printing) are badly broken or don't work.

Welcome to the Revolution!

Bernard