open file, applescript, POSIX

jim sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Sun May 3 05:42:03 EDT 2009

--The following works
set filepath to "/Users/jimsims/Pictures/art/01pigs1.500.jpg"
tell application "Preview"
	activate
	open file filepath as POSIX file
end tell

-- This works ONLY if I drop the POSIX
set filepath to "/Users/jimsims/Pictures/art/01pigs1.500.jpg"
tell application "Photoshop Elements 4.0"
	activate
	open file filepath -- as POSIX file
end tell

Why does Photoshop Elements 4.0 refuse and Preview say OK?

I need to open files in particular applications (not just the default
application). Launch seems interesting but only useful if one is
opening the application for the first time. I only need this for OS X.

Surely there is some kind of universal way to open files with a given
application on OS X?

sims

sims at ezpzapps.com
Skype:   sims.jim