Dumb Newbie Questions -- 3 of N

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Sat May 2 16:52:46 EDT 2009

Hello everybody,

Just to put my "grano salis" in this discussion: runrev (and its
ancestors) evolved rather biologically and a bit erratically, like any
organism or any natural language. Several users from time to time
claim to put more logic in its structures. I feel it is not only
hopeless, but totally unrealistic. A fully logic system becomes either
immediately fossilized or evolves out from the splendidly logical
structure of its beginning. Curstom properties CAN be properties, as
Jacque showed so well (in an application, I have flying hummingbirds
with CP like "PerchLoc", "NestLoc" and so on. They are quite similar
to the original properties). But the people who imagined CP asked
themselves: it's any reason to limit CP to THAT, since they can be far
more powerful ? And of course it was no good reason to limit the scope
of this new feature.
As for the names; Darwin himself has made a rather bad choice in
naming the natural selection "Natural selection", because selection
implies somebody acting to select organisms. "Natural filter" or
"Ecological sieve" would have been better. Perhaps. But natural
selection it is, and custom properties they are. It's just so, and we
have to learn their meaning. Every name in our pet programming
language is an analogy: you don't plow your fields, you don't fasten
your buttons, and you cannot tear your cards in little bits (sometimes
I wish to do just that ! ).
And, to mention a linked question, in my view "parent script", whith
it's heritability dye, was not less logical than "behavior", just
emphasising (good english?) another characteristic of the same
feature. I don't see one nickname as more logical than the other one.

Jacques (with s), in a philosophical mood...

Le 2 mai 2009 à 22:36, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :

> Seems a lot clearer now! Thank you, Jacque.

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne