Dumb Newbie Questions -- 1 of N

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:18:47 EDT 2009

Maybe my problem comes from taking the computer programming metaphor a
bit too literally.

I think of properties as things that inhere in objects, some being
necessary and some being
contingent; rather like people with functioning lungs (necessary) and
ideas (contingent).

Now it seems that with 'custom property' I am expected to imagine
objects that inhere in
other objects (e.g. stacks in custom properties).

Of course, once one abandons the standard metaphor and views custom
properties as
pointers to drawers in a filing cabinet (or, even, maybe, the drawers
themselves) everything
becomes clearer.

The term 'custom property' is misleading; it is like asking "Where is
Axminster?" and then
wondering why they don't show you the bathroom.