obtaining application paths

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Mar 31 18:13:54 EDT 2009

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Jim-
>
> Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 10:27:47 AM, you wrote:
>

>> What is the best way, on a Mac, to get the path to the various files
>> included in a Rev distribution. So assuming there is Rev 2.8.1, 2.9, 3.0
>> etc. installed on a Mac, and without necessarily running the version of Rev,
>> how would you find say the revdb.so for a particular version of Rev?
>>

> Don't know about "best", but how about:
>
> put "3.0.0" into tVersion
> put shell("locate revdb.so") into tFiles
> filter tFiles with "*/" & tVersion & "*"
>
> as long as the locate file database has been updated recently.

However (if I understand correctly), locate only returns file paths on
*publicly available* volumes. I used it to look for one of my Rev
standalones; it missed everything except the copies on my external HDs.
I used 'find' to get paths on my internal (non-public) HD and again just
in my user account - it worked, but it's very slow. It walks all
directory trees.
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs