Using things that are only supported on some platforms

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Mon Mar 30 02:57:08 EDT 2009

At 12:58 PM -0700 3/28/2009, Bill Vlahos wrote:
>I have an application that uses revSpeak which works fine on Macs
>and Windows as it should. This command isn't supported on Linux but
>I thought I would try to see what happened if I tried anyway. I get
>an error "can't find handler".
>
>Is this the expected behavior for a command that isn't supported?

If I remember correctly, the text-to-speech capabilies are
implemented as an external, rather than being part of the engine.
Given that, this is expected behavior... although it's
counterintuitive that a "built-in command" isn't actually built in.

>I could either trap for platform or put the command in a try... statement.

Either one seems sensible. The try structure is probably a bit more
robust, since it will work even if you've built a standalone and
forgotten to include the speech library.
--
Jeanne A. E. DeVoto, Transcript Language Curmudgeon
revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com