[ANN] I have a confession...

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:12:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Todd Higgins <higginsta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does you friend have a newer Mac (Powerbook G4 SD and newer)?  If so, I
> would tell him to just put it to sleep.  By default the contents of RAM is
> written to a disk image. Details on Safe Sleep can be found here:
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1757

Yeah, this is a way cool feature. Sleep your MacBook, pull the battery out
(unlucky for the new MBP 17" owners)  for a second or two and then pop it
back in. Next time you power up your MB it's right back where you left it.
Probably not a long term recommended solution, but I've appreciated this
feature way too many times than I should have.

Towards a less brutal solution, on OS X, you might think about looking into
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Unfortunately whilst this gives the name of the file in plain English, the
path is given in some kind of code which fortunately can be decoded using
AppleScript. Look here for some hints how to sort the list chronologically:

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=17554

My initial thoughts would be to work with the listed Documents, not
Applications. Have the user set the Recent Document to a reasonable number.
By sorting chronologically you should be able to remove any files that were
opened the day previously, unfortunately if it's set to 20 and he opens 20
files and closes 10 of them on the same day, when he starts again it's going
to open all 20 :-(

HTH