HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 17:41:37 EDT 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:

"You want RR to write an independent, cross-platform, full-featured video
and audio player? You'd be happy to pay for one, right?"

Gosh, must have touched a nerve there. Sorry!

Adobe Director costs $999 (whether that is only single platform or for
both Mac and Win is not clear)

Runtime Revolution costs $499

about half the 'hit'.

No, I don't; but some people on this use-list seem unaware of what
it takes both in terms of money and work to build in all the
additional stuff.

However, I didn't point out that Director could do this because I
wanted RR to do this: I pointed it out so you could see what
'truly cross-platform' meant :)

I am also well aware that RR can do quite a few, arguably more
practical, things than Director.

If I wanted to build richly immersive environments where teenage geeks
could lose themselves and fail their exams I might well work with
Director (having done something tending in that direction when I was
working in the UAE ten years ago). But, my bread and cheese comes from
producing considerably less media-intensive stuff for which Runtime
Revolution has served me very well indeed for some considerable time.

Or, put it another way: I paid about 3 months of my income to attend
the RunRev conference in Edinburgh rather than to attend some Adobe
function somewhere else!

[That reminds me, I have to darn my kilt as I cannot afford a new one.]

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.