HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Tue Mar 17 20:20:49 EDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> 3. Your first repeat loop was one million whereas the second repeat
> loop was One Hundered Thousand. Not sure why the disparity there...

Because when I tried a million for the customproperties I thought I
was going to have to restart my machine, Rev seemed completely locked
up. What Jackie just said about reading one property instead of all of
them, and getting timings of 503 and 238 is fair enough, it shows that
reading one customproperty can be a little bit faster than reading a
field. Even on her slower machine we're still only talking about 8.3
microseconds to read a field.

> 4. You were only GETTING the value of the field, not PUTTING data
> into the field. The experiment I presume was about both STORING and
> RETRIEVING data?

The idea was to find a way to play pre-stored MIDI. That would only
involved getting the value of the field, except for the day during
production when you stored the data, when you would have taken the
extra few milliseconds to do the storing.

My original script only had a putting part to it so that it was easy
to test on any .MID file on your drive.