HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Tue Mar 17 17:14:01 EDT 2009

> How about storing MIDI data as a custom property in a substack?

Even if this is done, you still need to copy the binary data contained
in the custom property to a temporary MIDI file (invisible if
desired), to which the the player's filename is assigned.  According
to the 3.0 User Guide, audio/video QT players must always reference a
discreet file.

MIDI is usually used polyphonically by combining musical tracks into a
single file or stream.  But, as an experiment, I referenced 3 MIDI
files and played them as follows:

on mouseUp
    start player "whole"
    start player "half"
    start player "quarter"
end mouseUp

They remained exactly in sync throughout their play duration. So I
guess that you could,  ***on a reasonably recent computer***, expect
that you can "mix" MIDI sound sequences.  On older models (ca. < 1
gHz), who knows?

Kurt