HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 12:45:14 EDT 2009

Klaus Major wrote:

"On the other hand, many folks don't like to put media on the users
harddisk"

The great thing about media files (sound, movies) once they have
been imported into a RuvRev stack is that they are hard to
steal for other purposes. The only problem is that, as has been
pointed out here, they are nt as easy to control as externally
referenced media files.

The reason I would like to see the ability to manipulate sounds
inside RunRev as they once were in HyperCard is that it would
allow users to pump out music at a 'cheaper' hit than either
externally reffed files or imported media; and with almost zero
latency.

I do admit that some of the 'cr*p' (c.f. the website I reffed in
an earlier posting) pumped out in this way is/was something akin to
doorbell jingles: however, some of it is/was almost up to the standard
of cheap Hong Kong synthesizers :)

Obviously, everything comes at a price, and the ability to pop out
this type of music, with zero latency (and avoid the 'clicky-click-
click' disease often exhibited by end-users with short attention spans)
comes at the price of not producing stuff that sounds like the Hradetsky
organ in St. Salvator's chapel at St. Andrews

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8421232

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~adweb/3sup_artmus.html

but, hey, I'm not an organ player of international repute; and,
I doubt very much that many Runtime Revolution programmers are:
the hours of practise needed to get to that sort of standard must
be far more than those needed to become a fine RR programmer!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.