My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 07:45:26 EDT 2009

Bill Marriott wrote:

"I don't know if this has been answered (the thread diverged into political discourse), but in Rev 2.9 and later your script will give
the expected results (at least on Windows) if you say,

set the beepsound to internal

set the beepPitch to 220

beep

set the beepPitch to 440

beep

This is because the beep command was changed to use the system alert by
default, and not the internal PC buzzer, which can do some interesting
things."

1. There is no "at least" about it; the Documentation in 2.9 states
that beepSound is only relevant to Windows.

On none of my Macintosh computers that are regularly used in my
household (4) can I raise a squeak from BEEP; nor from the 5 PCs
running Ubuntu variants.

As I do not have the chance to try out a version of RR post 2.9 on
Windows I really don't know how effective this would be: and, to be
frank, I really don't care very much as it does not offer a
cross-platform solution to my initial problem.

2. "political discourse"; Um! The hard fact is that Scott Rainey took
a decision a long time ago that is still having an effect - the why
and the wherefores of 'political' decisions (or, maybe, considerations
concerning time and money) often do not take into account all the
possible consequences.

3. "diverged": no it didn't really: the "political discourse" was
right ON TOPIC.

My initial posting, quite unwittingly, stirred up a hornet's nest;
however, had there been no hornet's nest to be stirred up that would
not have happened: it would have been another "Oh, there goes Richmond
with his daft ideas"!

As I have never met Scott Rainey, and do not really understand the
business side of software very well, I cannot comment on the obvious
rancour displayed by some contributors to this list about his reasons
for his decision. What I can do is express a socking great "WHAT A SILLY
OVERSIGHT" comment; and a "HOW ABOUT MAKING GOOD THAT SILLY OVERSIGHT
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" remark.

As I will be attending the Edinburgh conference in September, and,
as far as I understand, be in line for the post-conf. version of RR;
I am, possibly, naively, hoping that that version; as well as having
some "jazzy, new" capabilities, will, also, have a "corny, old"
capability, let us say, 'restored'.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.