Mac sound channels/MIDI

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 10:14:48 EDT 2009

Kurt Kaufman wrote:

"Scott Raney was EXTREMELY helpful to me while I was working with MIDI"

I bet he was; after all why spend ages building something when you can
get somebody else to do it for you, for free?

This is another big bone of contention:

While leveraging existing capabilities of Runtime Revolution is
reasonable behaviour to expect from RR customers, I really wonder
if it is reasonable to expect them to write whole new appendages
for RR; especially those that provide ways of doing things that
by rights RR should already be capable of doing?

Runtime Revolution is described as the heir to Hypercard; and it
is in the sense that I am heir to my father, but also in the
sense that while my father is a Fellow of the Royal Chemical
Society I always have a problem remembering where to put the
hydroxy groups on the carbon rings in sugars: that is to say,
my capabilities and skills are not the same as my father's (and,
unlike RR's, they are not generally better). Runtime Revolution
offers both more and (in the specific case under discussion) less
than Hypercard - something it doesn't rush to point out in its
publicity or its documentation. Now, on balance, RR wipes the
floor with HC - however, surely it can only claim that HyperTalk
is a subset of RR's programming language when that contains all
the capabilities of HyperTalk within it?

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.