Mac sound channels/MIDI

Kurt Kaufman kurtkaufman at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:28:23 EDT 2009

Two things I want to mention:

Scott Raney was EXTREMELY helpful to me while I was working with MIDI, providing me with examples of basic MIDI routines in other languages, and clarifying how I should use binary encoding methods from within Rev. He was an excellent teacher in the sense that he never gave me the answers directly, but would suggest that I "take a look at..." or "watch out for..." in searching for my own solutions.

Although I don't have time for it right now (maybe by this summer), it seems to me it shouldn't be that difficult to write a translator for the HC-style "flute e3q" to MIDI.  Once a MIDI file is created, it requires very little from Rev; QT takes care of the work. In contrast, I believe that playing a succession of short clips would be cumbersome and less reliable in terms of ending up with a flowing "musical" line.  The problems are probably multiplied when trying to work with polyphony.

In hindsight I wish that I had had more experience in encapsulating methods; I wish I could have written the MIDI file creation routine so that I could now say "Sure, just feed it this data with these parameters, and you'll get the required MIDI file useable on any QT player."

If someone on the list were willing to help me in this area, I'd be willing to try to redesign the methods so that they could be easily used as a general function from within Rev. It would be nice to have **easy** MIDI file generation and playback available through Rev scripting/QT, at least on Mac and Windows  (QT for Linux?).

Kurt